- Can I share a single pipette between more than one pet?
No, the amount of active ingredient in each pipette is calibrated to the stated animal species and weight. To ensure your pets get adequate control from fleas and ticks use the correct pipette size and product for each pet. Never divide pipettes between animals.
- I just applied my first pipette of FRONTLINE® PLUS. How long until my pet’s fleas are gone?
FRONTLINE® PLUS will spread over the coat of your pet within 24 hours. Any new fleas that jump onto your pet will die within 8-24 hours. The adult fleas on your pet represent only 5% of the total flea population. The other 95% are the eggs, larvae and pupae that can remain dormant in the environment for up to 6 months. The best way to kill fleas is to break their life cycle. By applying FRONTLINE® PLUS continually you will deplete the flea population over time and protect your home environment.
- Do I need to treat my pet for fleas even in colder months?
Yes. With heated homes, fleas can be a problem all year round inside the home. Outside, the flea life cycle never stops in winter, it just slows down.
- Why can I still see fleas on my pet after I’ve applied FRONTLINE® PLUS?
FRONTLINE® PLUS works by killing fleas as they come into contact with the product on your pet's skin and haircoat; it is not a repellent, therefore if your pet is exposed to a source of fleas in the home or external environment, they may re-infest your pet. These new fleas will be killed within 24 hours. You cannot stop your pets from picking up fleas if your pet shares its environment with other pets and wildlife.
- I live in a highly tick-infested area. How often do I need to treat my pets?
Every four weeks. Remember FRONTLINE® PLUS is not a tick repellent so you may still see some ticks on your pet. They should be killed within 48 hours.
- There are other flea treatment products which contain fipronil. Are these products the same as FRONTLINE® PLUS?
The main difference is that FRONTLINE<sup>®</sup> PLUS also contains the insect growth regulator (S)-methoprene to control immature flea stages and provide integrated flea control. Check the label claims on other products.
- When should I start treating my kitten / puppy with FRONTLINE® PLUS?
Kittens and puppies can be treated with FRONTLINE® PLUS as early as 8 weeks of age. It is safe to treat kittens and puppies with FRONTLINE® SPRAY from 2 days of age.
- Can I use the FRONTLINE® PLUS for Cats on my dogs and the FRONTLINE® PLUS for Dogs on my cats?
FRONTLINE® PLUS for Cats and FRONTLINE® PLUS for Dogs are not exactly the same. Only use the appropriate product for your dog or cat. However, FRONTLINE® SPRAY can be used on both dogs and cats.
- I have treated my cat with FRONTLINE® PLUS for Large Dogs by mistake. Will it harm him?
FRONTLINE® PLUS has a long established and wide margin of safety and your cat should be fine. There is no need to stress your cat by bathing him, but if you have recently applied the product you can dab off any excess on the back of the neck with a tissue. If you have any concerns about your pet please contact your local veterinarian or call us on 0800-800-822.
- Can FRONTLINE® PLUS or FRONTLINE® SPRAY be used on pets other than cats and dogs?
Contact your veterinarian regarding the off label use of FRONTLINE® SPRAY on other species. Do NOT use any FRONTLINE® product on rabbits.
- Does FRONTLINE® PLUS treat for anything else other than fleas?
FRONTLINE® PLUS is also registered for the treatment and control of ticks and lice.
- Is FRONTLINE® PLUS safe to use on breeding, pregnant and nursing cats and dogs?
FRONTLINE® PLUS is safe to use on breeding, pregnant and nursing queens and bitches.
- Can my dog catch fleas from other dogs he meets in the park or at doggy day care?
Your dog will catch fleas from the trail of flea eggs other dogs or wildlife such as rats and rabbits have left behind in the park or at doggy day care. Fleas rarely jump from pet to pet, but it can happen.
- Do cats get as many fleas as dogs?
Yes, however cats are often a ‘silent’ source of fleas as they may groom rather than scratch, so it’s less obvious they have fleas. Cats also enjoy a wide roaming area where they may pick up fleas and then spend time inside with you. If cats are not treated regularly there is greater risk of infesting your home and garden.
- Can a flea bite before it dies?
Some may; fleas do not have to bite in order to be killed by FRONTLINE® PLUS but fleas can bite as quickly as 60 seconds from the time they jump onto your pet.
- What are fleas?
Fleas are parasites that feed on blood.
- How do I know if my pet has fleas?
You may notice your pet scratching and see fleas deep in your pet’s coat or around your cat’s or dog’s ears. Also, you may notice black specks of flea dirt (digested blood meal) in their coat.
- Can an indoor-only cat catch fleas?
Yes, as other animals or humans in the household can bring fleas in that have jumped onto them outside.
- How long after applying FRONTLINE® PLUS can I handle my pets?
Treated animals should not be handled until the application site is dry and children should not be allowed to play with treated animals until the application site is dry. It is therefore recommended that animals are not treated during the day, but should be treated during the early evening, and that recently treated animals should not be allowed to sleep with owners, especially children.
- Do I need to wash my pet before application?
Provided your pet's coat is clean, there is no specific need to wash your pet. If you do wash your pet, it is important to ensure that the coat and skin are completely dry before applying the product.
- What if my cat licks FRONTLINE® PLUS?
If licking occurs shortly after application a brief period of hyper-salivation may occur due to the bitter taste of the excipient. Apply FRONTLINE® PLUS at the back of the neck where it cannot be licked.
- Can I apply FRONTLINE® PLUS anywhere on my pet?
No. You must apply it directly onto the pet’s skin, not on the hair, at the base of the neck between the shoulder blades, where your pet cannot lick it off.
- Can I use FRONTLINE® PLUS if my pet is on medication?
Yes. FRONTLINE® PLUS is not systemically active and has no known interactions with systemic medications.
- Can my pet be bathed or go swimming after I’ve applied FRONTLINE® PLUS?
They can from 48 hours after application. FRONTLINE® PLUS is water fast and will remain effective even if your pet gets wet. However, excessive washing or swimming may shorten efficacy, and a more frequent application may be required.